St. Cyril of Jerusalem Parish,15520 Ventura Boulevard, Encino, California - St. Cyril of Jerusalem Church, 15520 Ventura Boulevard, Encino, California 91436
St. Cyril of Jerusalem Parish
St. Cyril of Jerusalem Parish is Trinitarian and defines its mission
as spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ, administering the
sacraments and exercising charity. Catholic worship is highly
liturgical, focusing on the Mass or Divine Liturgy during which the
sacrament of the Eucharist is celebrated. The Church teaches that
bread and wine used during the Mass become the body and blood of
Christ through transubstantiation. The Catholic Church practices
closed communion and only baptized members of the Church in a state
of grace are ordinarily permitted to receive the Eucharist.
St. Cyril of Jerusalem Parish was established by the late James
Francis Cardinal McIntyre, Archbishop of Los Angeles, in 1949. At
that time, the Holy Land was experiencing unrest and St. Cyril of
Jerusalem, an early church father and bishop of the holy city, was
chosen as the patron of the new parish. For a time the congregation
worshipped at the former Nazareth House Home for Boys in nearby
Sherman Oaks, California.
Saint Cyril of Jerusalem School
Saint Cyril of Jerusalem is a Catholic School serving pre-kindergarten through eighth grade children of the parish and Catholic community. The school provides an affordable education in a safe environment where a child can mature intellectually, spiritually, emotionally and physically. The school seeks academic excellence; maximum use of its technological resources to intellectually challenge students and a high level of parent and community involvement. Spiritual and moral values and respect for self and others are fostered, thereby enhancing the development of life skills necessary for success as a Christian adult.
St. Cyril of Jerusalem Elementary School, originally staffed by three Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, opened in 1950. The first permanent building was completed in 1952 and by 1955, the school had grown to eight classrooms. In June of 1956, St. Cyril's graduated its first eighth grade class.
Saint Cyril's presently has ten classes, pre-kindergarten through
eighth grade. Saint Cyril's is fully accredited by the Western
Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the Western Catholic
Education Association and is a member of the National Catholic
*All our ministries that work with children are fully compliant with the Safeguard the Children Program. All chaperones, volunteers and helpers who interact with children are "Virtus" trained and processed.
Organ Builders, Inc. Opus 23 ~Dedicated: May 31, 1998
Image of artwork in header - Used
with permission (one-time use only) from: Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe, La Crosse, WI.