“Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua), and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: ‘Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word.’” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1213)
Many Catholics receive the sacrament of baptism as infants, in the presence of his or her parents and godparents. Through the saving waters of baptism, Catholics believe that we are washed clean from the stain of original sin (caused by the sin of Adam and Eve). The grace we receive in baptism also makes us children of God the Father and welcomes us into the Catholic Church.
St. Cyril of Jerusalem Parish holds a communal celebration of the Sacrament of Baptism on the 2nd Sunday of each month at 2:00pm.
Registration arrangements must be made with the Parish Office at: 818.986.8234 in advance of the Baptismal Preparation Class and to schedule the date of Baptism.
Guidelines for Infant Baptism (Children under 7 years of age)
1. At least one parent should be a practicing Catholic who has completed the Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Holy Communion, Confirmation) and intends to raise the child to be baptized in the Catholic faith.
2. In mixed marriages, the non-Catholic parent is encouraged to participate in the program of preparation for Baptism and to be supportive of the Catholic parent in raising the child as a Catholic Christian.
3. Parent(s) Must present a copy of the Birth Certificate for the child who will be Baptized at the time of Baptismal Preparation Class registration. Baptismal registration form is to be filled out completely. To view our baptismal registration form please click here.
4. Catholic Parent(s) and godparent(s) must attend a Baptism Preparation Class which takes place on the 1st Wednesday of every month at 7PM in the Saint Cyril School Faculty Lounge located at: 4548 Haskell Ave, Encino, CA 91436. To register for the Baptism Preparation Class, please contact the Parish Office: email: [email protected] -or- phone: 818.986.8234. If a Baptismal Preparation Class is completed at another Parish, please present a copy of the Certificate of Completion along with a Recommendation Letter from the Pastor of the Parish.
Guidelines for Godparents
1. While it is tradition to have two godparents (one male, one female), the church only requires one godparent. A godparent can be married or single. 2. Godparents must have completed their sixteenth (16) year and cannot be the father or mother of the one receiving the Sacrament. 3. Must have received the three (3) Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist and be an active, practicing Catholic. 4. A non-Catholic may not serve as a godparent but they are welcome to participate in the ceremony as a "Christian witness."
Baptism for Children Over 7 Years of Age (K-9th Grade)
Children over 7 years of age must be enrolled in our Parish Religious Education Program for Children (PREP). The child will receive instruction for the sacraments of Baptism, Holy Communion, and Confirmation after a suitable period of preparation. Two consecutive years of preparation are required for the sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion. For information and registration in the PREP program please contact Director of Religious Education Ray Perry at: email:[email protected] or- phone 818.789.5947.
Adult Baptism (Age 18 and older)
Adults 18 and older who are not baptized must enroll in our parish RCIA Program. RCIA stands for Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults. The non-baptized adult will receive instruction in the Catholic faith based on their own religious background and experience preparing them to receive the sacraments of initiation (Baptism, Holy Communion, and Confirmation) at the Easter Vigil.
RCIA is also for adults who have been baptized in another Christian denomination and now wish to enter the Catholic Church.
RCIA also prepares baptized Catholic adults who never received Holy Communion and/or Confirmation.
RCIA meets on alternating Thursdays in the Saint Cyril School Faculty Lounge located at 4548 Haskell Ave, Encino, CA 91436.
For information or registration into the RCIA Program please contact Director of Religious Education Ray Perry at: email:[email protected] -or- phone 818.789.5947.
Yes, in fact we recommend doing so.
There are two to three meetings required before an infant is baptized. Older child/adult baptisms usually require months of preparation and may require other courses like Catechism (PREP) and RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults).
The Rite of Baptism indicates that it should be celebrated in a parish church. We do not celebrate baptisms outside of a church, except in cases of family illness or emergencies.
The Church asks that a child have at least one Catholic godparent who is baptized, confirmed, and living his/her faith. The other godparent, formally known as a sponsor, may be a “Christian witness” who need not be Catholic. Someone may “stand in” (act as a proxy) for a godparent who is not able to be present at the Baptism.